Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
09/21/24 at 00:20:58
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Migrating from old to new DBA (Read 1491 times)
thekubrix_
Browser

Migrating from old to new DBA
11/29/04 at 07:53:10

I apologize if this is an old quesition, but....

We have been running the old DBA for a few years now, and I'm responcible for migrating us to the new version of DBA (NG).  

As of now I have a test server and ran the migration utility, DBA2NG. But it seems it doesn't actually copy 100% of the data, which is what I assumed after reading the "Readme".

But rather than a list of what it DOES copy, what DOESN'T it copy? So far I see that no Sales Orders or any orders for that matter went through.....(I'm kinda struggling because I don't use DBA here on a daily basis, just support it)

Assuming that DBA2NG doesn't copy the majority, how else can I migrate data over? I'm still getting my feet wet on this new system, and I havn't tinkered with firebird yet, but from what I read firebird is a good system, its pervasive that I'm afraid of,.....the odbc support is notorious!

Any ideas? Pointers? Links? (and yes I've already read those documents on the support site)

cry

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: Migrating from old to new DBA
Reply #1 - 11/29/04 at 08:52:37

To the best of my knowledge the ETL utility does NOT transfer the "transactional" data. There are just TOO many differences in the structure and content.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
thekubrix_
Browser

Reply #2 - 11/29/04 at 09:09:02

What do you define transactional data as? (again, I'm not a DBA user, just the admin/coder here).

So, is it safe to assume that no one has migrated 100% from old DBA to DBA NG? What does everyone do? Keep both systems live?  ???

undecided

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #3 - 11/29/04 at 09:36:35

Transactional data is things like Sales Orders, Invoices, Work Orders, Purchase Orders.

And, as is the case in MOST instances of mving from an old system to a new, you need to create the transactional data manually in the new system, as a duplicate of the old, and then "cut-over" to the new one on your "go-live" date. This is pretty elemental PM stuff...Smiley

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Tim Keating

DBA CLASSIC WIN 2000
C/S

Reply #4 - 11/29/04 at 09:46:04

There is a topic in this forum entitled 'EziJobz', which is what DBA NG was originally called.  You might want to browse that to get the answer to your question about who has switched over.  If you were to migrate to a live version, my guess is you would be one of the first.

http://www.istechforum.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=ezojobz;action=display;num=1078 872023

If you don't know it already.  DBA NG has no relation to older DBA aside from the name.  As the program and data structure are entirely different, your import cabability is limited to static data like part names, customer and vendor data, etc...  You will probably never to be able to import anything beyond the most basic transactional data.

Of course, somebody has to go first so be my guest....

Tim Keating
Motor Guard Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
thekubrix_
Browser

Reply #5 - 11/29/04 at 09:52:43

Quote from aricon   on 11/29/04 at 09:36:35:
Transactional data is things like Sales Orders, Invoices, Work Orders, Purchase Orders.

And, as is the case in MOST instances of mving from an old system to a new, you need to create the transactional data manually in the new system, as a duplicate of the old, and then "cut-over" to the new one on your "go-live" date. This is pretty elemental PM stuff...Smiley

Uhm, create the data manually? Physically rentering all that data could take years. Theres two problems here. One, I don't have a good map of the old structure, or the new one, and it looks like I'm flying solo on this train. And second, migrating into firebird doesn't worry me, as much as exporting from pervasive,.....which seems like one would have to take an unconvential approah.

IP Logged
thekubrix_
Browser

Reply #6 - 11/29/04 at 09:55:04

Quote from Tim Keating   on 11/29/04 at 09:46:04:
There is a topic in this forum entitled 'EziJobz', which is what DBA NG was origianally called. You might want to browse that to get the answer to your question about who has switched over. If you were to migrate to a live version, my guess is you would be one of the first.

http://www.istechforum.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=ezojobz;action=display;num=1078 872023

If you don't know it already. DBA NG has no relation to older DBA aside from the name. As the program and data structure are entirely different, your import cabability is limited to static data like part names, customer and vendor data, etc... You will probably never to be able to import anything beyond the most basic transactional data.

Of course, somebody has to go first so be my guest....

Wow, so no one has gone from the old system to the new one? I would have thought alot of people have..... undecided

Its looking like more and more that both systems will have to remain live indefinatly.  undecided

I'm curious, how many organizations are even using DBA NG? Have the numbers increased from the older system? Being alone is scary...

IP Logged
Tim Keating

DBA CLASSIC WIN 2000
C/S

Reply #7 - 11/29/04 at 10:01:53

Quote from thekubrix2   on 11/29/04 at 09:55:04:

Wow, so no one has gone from the old system to the new one? I would have thought alot of people have..... undecided

I don't know if no one has.  The majority of users on this forum have probably decided to continue with DBA plus IS Tech's enhancements.  

I know there is a website and forum for DBA NG.  Also check this:

http://www.44group.net/index.php

Tim Keating
Motor Guard Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
thekubrix_
Browser

Reply #8 - 11/29/04 at 10:10:03

Quote from Tim Keating   on 11/29/04 at 10:01:53:

I don't know if no one has. The majority of users on this forum have probably decided to continue with DBA plus IS Tech's enhancements.

I know there is a website and forum for DBA NG. Also check this:

http://www.44group.net/index.php

Oh, so this site is mainly for the older DBA? Hehe that link you gave me is down right now.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #9 - 11/29/04 at 14:14:15

I do know that there have been very few conversions from old DBA to NG.  I have lost only 3 IS Tech subscribers in 2 years to NG (or EziJobz as it was once called) and 2 of them have given up and come back to DBA and IS Tech so that may tell you something.

NG (at least at this point) is missing many of the proven features that DBA has and as you have noted, has a limited data conversion.  IS Tech, especially with the TAS 6 Evolution menu and other enhancements we have in the works, is trying to bring the DBA Classic core product into the 21st century and make the need for a conversion to something completely new unnecessary.  

What does NG offer that makes it worth the loss of data (or maintaining a dual system) and the effort of retraining all your people?  Take a look at the TAS 6 Evolution menu for DBA and the features it already enables such as email and transaction audit trail.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #10 - 11/29/04 at 14:41:27

Quote from thekubrix2   on 11/29/04 at 09:52:43:

Uhm, create the data manually? Physically rentering all that data could take years. Theres two problems here. One, I don't have a good map of the old structure, or the new one, and it looks like I'm flying solo on this train. And second, migrating into firebird doesn't worry me, as much as exporting from pervasive,.....which seems like one would have to take an unconvential approah.

Well, you don't reenter ALL the data when you switch systems. You reenter CURRENT data. So any sales orders, purchase orders, work orders that are open are entered and maintained in both systems simultaneously for a short while (usually 1 month). Then on the "go live" date, you cut over all NEW orders to the new system. And you run the old system until anything that was left in it is done. Then you usually keep it available for 1 year as an historical reference point. Then you wipe it out.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print