News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
winfax or other (Read 1694 times)
Laura  D. Oliver

winfax or other
02/04/05 at 13:28:37

I am wanting to purchase software so that I can recieve faxes to a computer.  (paperless)  I was looking at WINFAX-pro. (but I read where it conflicts with service pack 2)    Since I will probably eventually use it with DBA I was wondering if there is any other conflicts or problems.

Maybe someone has a better idea.  

I have an HP3015 but after reinstalling it, we can't get the software to work.  (even after talking with the HP tech for hours...she seemed to think the problem was a conflict with my Mcaffe)  

So I  guess I am looking for that something that is DBA friendly,  Mcaffe friendly and SERVICE PACK 2 friendly.

Actually I dont have to use it with DBA...yet....but I am sure it is coming.  

Thanks,
Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Tim Keating

DBA CLASSIC WIN 2000
C/S

Re: winfax or other
Reply #1 - 02/04/05 at 13:45:40

Check your machine first.  Most PC's come with a fax program.  Since you mentioned SP2 I assume you're talking about WinXP and I know that has a fax feature that works very well.

I don't think you need WinFax unless you are planning on doing broadcasting or have other special needs.  First of all, it isn't cheap, second, its a memory hog.

If you do go that way, I can tell you that we run WinFax with DBA and Win2000 with no problems.  I have also used it at home with WinXP with no problems but that was before SP2 and I've since removed it.

I doubt any mainline virus protection program is going to cause a conflict with fax software.

Tim Keating
Motor Guard Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
Tim Goldstein

'Cause sooner or
later everyone needs
a chief geek

Reply #2 - 02/04/05 at 14:12:40

Laura,

We do this now.  We have a server that is Windows 2003 that comes with fax software.  I have setup the software to deliver faxes to the users mail box if known.  otherwise everyone has access to the drop bos for unaddressed faxes.  Outgoing faxes occure through a print driver to the server.  Users simply change their default printer to the fax on the server.  We fax quotes and POs from DBA through this system all the time without problems.

The best part is you don't have to stand around the fax machine!  It will queue up faxes in the order they are received and then fax.  If the fax is busy or interupted, it is retried up to 10 times.  If the fax doesn't go through, the user gets a message that the fax didn't complete.

Hope it helps,

Tim

Tim
Email WWW timgolds timgolds   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #3 - 02/04/05 at 14:43:02

You can also look at ZetaFax http://www.zetafax.com/products/ . They also have other products that are very helpful including a basic document management type solution and a solution that works with Exchange for mobile access.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Mike_Habich

Reply #4 - 02/07/05 at 07:12:31

I'm using WinFax with XP and XPsp2 machines with no problem.  On one, I have two modems on different phone lines, and receive on one and send on the other.  No problems, including with DBA.  There might well be better ways, but this certainly works.

Email   IP Logged
Laura  D. Oliver

Reply #5 - 02/07/05 at 09:37:32

Tim,
I agree!  This would be the ideal situation.   But.....I cant figure this out:

1) when we "view" stored faxes in the console we see gobbledygook......(but they prnt fine)

2) ... and  how do you fax a proof of delivery or a hand sketch?     Our freestanding fax/printer machine attached to the XP machine can't get a dialtone, (because the XPfax has it)  so you cant fax a hand sketched drawing unless you scan it and then fax it.  

I think this works great for faxing DBA POs and acknowledgement (filesinside your computer)..... but we still manually fax hand dwgs and signed delivery tickets.   I am probably overlooking something.   OF course WINFAX could have this same problem.

thanks
 Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Tim Goldstein

'Cause sooner or
later everyone needs
a chief geek

Reply #6 - 02/07/05 at 14:40:34

Laura,

If you are seeing junk on the saved fax list, I would uninstall the software and reinstall.

We use UPS and the Worldship software for deliveries and we fax proof from that application.  

We have a manual fax attacehd to the same line for faxing misc docs.  It sounds like you have a line problem if you are getting a busy signal on your manual fax.  

If the PC running the fax software is next to the fax connect the phone line as follows:

connect the line in to the fax machine.  connect the line out from the fax machine to the computers line in.

If you want the computer to receive the faxes, set the fax to receive on more rings than the computer i.e. 7.  set the fax software to answer on 5 rings.

Now when you fax through the computer, the fax machine will wait for the line to come free and show line busy. (if it doesn't you ether have an old fax, the cords backward or a bad cord).  when you fax manually, the computer will see the line is busy and wait.  When receiving a fax, the computer will answer on five rings.  If the computer is shut off, the fax machine will take over and receive the incoming faxes.

Hope it helps,

Tim

Tim
Tim Goldstein

'Cause sooner or
later everyone needs
a chief geek

Reply #7 - 02/07/05 at 14:42:49

Laura,

Almost forgot,  If you can't get the stuff in XP working, winfax won't work ether.  The difference between winfax and the free stuff in XP are simply advanced features like being able to easily fill out a fax digitally and send it back or managing incoming boxes.

Tim
Laura  D. Oliver

Reply #8 - 02/07/05 at 15:42:48

I have decided not to use winfax pro and think I am going with Tim Keatings idea of using the fax program that comes with XP.

But still a few problems:

1) when we "view" stored faxes in the console we see gobbledygook......(but they prnt fine)    
I BELIEVE THIS IS BECAUSE THEY ARE BEING OPENED IN WORD AND NOT IN A TIF FILE....BUT IT PRINTS IN A TIF FILE

2)  but how do you fax a proof of delivery or a hand sketch UNLESS YOU SCAN IT IN?    
THE XP FAX HELPS SAYS THAT YOU CAN HAVE ONLY 1 LOCAL FAX.....SO IF YOU ARE USING THE XP FAX...YOU CAN  ** NOT ** HAVE A FREESTANDING LOCAL FAX GET A DIAL TONE  

I think this XP FAX works great for faxing  D B A   POs and acknowledgement (filesinside your computer)..... but we still manually fax hand dwgs and signed delivery tickets.   I am probably overlooking something.   OF course WINFAX could have this same problem.  

thanks  
 Laura  

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Tim Goldstein

'Cause sooner or
later everyone needs
a chief geek

Reply #9 - 02/07/05 at 16:14:10

Laura,

Sorry, you're right.  faxes are a form of TIFF files.  you will need a special plugin in word to view them.  The fax software should have a viewer built-in if it's XP.  however, you could have the wrong association.  to check it, open explorer, click on tools/folder options and choose the file types tab.  Look for file type tif and tiff.  when you select them, make sure it says "Opens wint:windows picture and fax viewer" if it doesn't choose change and select program from list.  the built in viewer should show and a recommended app.

As for why you cant have a manual machine and  the XP software on the same line that makes no since.  I have XP at home and a fax machine and I do it there.  The fax machine and the PC are on different jacks but the use the same line. As before, check that your phone cables are good and going into the right jacks.  Faxes can detect line status but only if they are plugged into the right jacks.

Tim
Laura  D. Oliver

Reply #10 - 02/11/05 at 13:54:52

timgolds,

you were correct  the open with had been customised to WORD.   I changed it Picture File viewer as you suggested.

Now it will open the first page of the fax, BUT I cant get it to open multiple pages????   So if a we get a 6 page fax...all I see is the coverpage... H E L P!

P.S.   I can already see you will be a great addition to this forum.    

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Tim Keating

DBA CLASSIC WIN 2000
C/S

Reply #11 - 02/11/05 at 14:52:42

The correct program to associate your faxes with in WinXP is called Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, which handles multi-page TIFFs.  Make sure you have chosen that program.  The flip side is, it will probably associate with all TIFFs on your system and will become your default viewer, like it or not.

Tim Keating
Motor Guard Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print