Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
09/21/24 at 10:51:40
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
protect DBA server from internet problems (Read 2068 times)
Laura  D. Oliver

protect DBA server from internet problems
03/29/05 at 06:46:34

We intentionally have kept our server and 8 DBA workstations from access to the internet.    Years ago I set up a single unnetworked computer so folks could access email and not risk danger to my DBA data and server.  

We have found that even with the best virsus/adware/firewall/etc protection that our stand alone internet computer can become a victim.

MY QUESTION:   Is it possbile that my server (my precious DBA data)  would become a victim  If I were to allow 2 of my 8 DBA workstation to be connected to the internet......or would it just effect those 2 workstations?
Thanks.

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: protect DBA server from internet problems
Reply #1 - 03/29/05 at 13:42:39

Laura,

Virus, adware, malware, etc. protection and insulation is the NUMBER ONE problem facing systems administrators today....period.

Would your server be vulnerable? Yes. Same as everyone else's is. The best you can do today to provide open and useable access to users while still maintaining reasonable security is to layer your protection.

Perimeter protection is your firewall to the server. Behind this you have your AV and spam protection. Behind that is your Active Directory (AD) policy control. Behind that is your adware, malware and related.

Beyond this, you HAVE to make sure you have appropriate use policies and that they are published, distributed, signed-off, and enforced.

By doing these things you will then be as safe as anyone else out there.

My 2 cents... Smiley

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura  D. Oliver

Reply #2 - 03/29/05 at 13:52:42

Well....I guess I will keep my stand alone option to the internet.  Folks will just have to get up from their desk and walk to the center room

I just don't have the manpower or nerves to deal with  SLOW DBA  !!!

Thanks,

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Tim Keating

DBA CLASSIC WIN 2000
C/S

Reply #3 - 03/29/05 at 18:55:34

I appreciate Lorne's comments and feel they nicely convey a solid strategy for internet security for a small firm.

Yes, connecting to the internet is risky, but so is driving to work in the morning.  It's a measured risk and you have to weigh the benefits.  

We have 10 users and I allow 5 of them access, using roughly the protections that Lorne listed.  In four years, I have never had any down time or performance issues related to this.  Our usage policy is clear and I monitor and enforce it.

The benefits of access for us, e-commerce, research, procurement and communication with customers and vendors, far outweigh the risks.

I'd plug it in and hire an IT guy to tweak things for best security.  You'll wonder why you didn't do it years ago.

Tim Keating
Motor Guard Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #4 - 03/29/05 at 19:42:48

I would agree with both Tim and Lorne; I think they are really saying the same thing.  Tim said it well - Life is a risk.  But the benefit of easy access to the internet eventually offsets the risk.  The only thing I would add is - BE RELIGIOUS ABOUT DAILY BACKUPS and back up at least once/week to something like a tape or CD that is completely outside the network and physicallly removed from the drive.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print