Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
09/20/24 at 20:16:39
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wireless network and DBA (Read 1148 times)
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Wireless network and DBA
06/10/05 at 10:55:41

Anybody using a wireless network and running DBA Classic or Evo?

We're looking at moving to wireless, and I just wanted to hear from anyone, pluses or minuses, with respect to running DBA in such an environment.

Thanks,

Val

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
Tim Keating

DBA CLASSIC WIN 2000
C/S

Re: Wireless network and DBA
Reply #1 - 06/10/05 at 11:21:57

DBA will run the same on a Wireless LAN as it would on a Wired.  It can't tell the difference.

Tim Keating
Motor Guard Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
Danimal

Reply #2 - 06/10/05 at 12:32:56

Speed may be a factor, considering traffic/congestion, distance between your communication devices, data encryption (WEP), and the protocol (802.11b, 802.11g, etc) you use... will run considerably slower than on a wired 100Base-T (100 Mbps) ethernet network.

Email   IP Logged
Doughmakers
Browser

Reply #3 - 06/21/05 at 09:39:49

We use a wireless network for PC's on the shop floor running DBA. It works great now, but about two years ago when we originally set up the system, we were using equipment based on 802.11b (11mbps) technology. This was far too slow and caused many problems, we have since upgraded to 802.11g (54mbps) technology and it has made all the difference in the world. Now DBA runs smoothly on those machines. I would highly recommend using equipment that offers an accelerated mode, for instance U.S. Robotics has an 802.11g access point/router that will connect at 125mbps as long as you have their accelerated adapter on the PC. The connection speed will make a big differance. Another suggestion would be to choose an access point/router that gives the flexibility of changing the antenna. Some of the units have un-attachable antennas and you are stuck with the range and signal that you are getting.

You can also do all of this really cheap if you shop around, they are always offering mail-in rebates for this type of equipment. I was able to set up two access points and 4 PC's on 125mbps wireless network for under $150.00.

Cindy Ellis
Doughmakers Gourmet Bakeware
Email WWW   IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #4 - 06/22/05 at 11:57:35

Smiley  Glad to hear other's input on this.  I was wary about speed issues and DBA and the databases getting corrupted.  I am definitely looking at 80211.g, and we'll have to consider the type of encryption as we'll be in close quarters in a shared building and network security is serious for us. The info on running wired & wireless with DBA, same network, is helpful as we'd be considering just implementing on part of the network (warehouse area).  Good to know!

Thanks everyone,

Val

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
Rbuchanan
Browser

Is it too late to
change my mind
?!?!?!

Reply #5 - 06/30/05 at 12:17:56

Security's a problem?!

We've been putting machines on the shop floor for a month now and we hard code the MAC addresses into the Wireless Access Point.  That way it will ONLY connect with our machines.  No way to hack in unless you can manage to spoof the MAC address!  Kind of a pain for a bunch of machines, but so far we're only up to 5 wireless units and the res are hard wired.  Biggest pain for us is having two WAP's and thus having to add the addresses to both of them!

You definitely want 802.11g for the speed.  Depending on your plant layout and the type of manufacturing, your signal strength and throughput can vary a lot.  We've got al sorts of welders sending out electrical interference, thus the multiple WAPs.

Best of luck to ya'

Rob Buchanan
Macon Metal Products Company, Inc.

ISTS 2005.1 6/20 Update, 21 User
&
Evo 2005.1, 3 User

XP Pro w/ SP2 & Pervasive 2000i
MS SBS 2003 C/S Setup
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print